African Wood Mask Original Hand Carved ‘Fire’ NOVICA Ghana
Africa wood mask, ‘Fire’
Abdul Aziz Mohamadu combines his passion for painting and carving in the original design of the mask. He calls it “Wota,” the Hausa word for fire, and carves it from African rubberwood. Hand-painted details and embossed aluminum plates give the mask a unique and powerful expression.
Artist: Abdul Aziz Mohamadu
10.3 inches H x 10.3 inches W x 3.1 inches D
- 1.04 pounds
- African rubberwood and aluminum
Photos are representative of the item being offered, but are not necessarily of the exact item you would receive. As is the nature of handcrafted items, there may be very slight variations from one piece to the next.
See Listing InfoCURRENT PRICE:
Our ebay prices are significantly lower than suggested retail amounts. By cutting out all traditional middlemen we can bring you the best prices on the highest quality items, direct from the region of origin.
SHIPPING TO USA (LOWER 48 STATES)
|Shipping Services||Shipping Cost||Delivery Time|
|Standard to Lower 48 United States||$6.00||12 to 20 business days|
|Expedited to Lower 48 United States||$10.00||2 to 6 business days|
WE SHIP TO OVER 100 DESTINATIONS!
|Destination||Shipping Cost||Delivery Time|
|Australia||$18.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
|Canada||$10.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
|Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands||$8.00||2 to 5 weeks|
|USA (Alaska or Hawaii)
|Same as Standard
|10 to 24 business days|
|USA (Alaska or Hawaii)
|$10.00||3 to 10 business days|
|United Kingdom||$8.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
COMBINED SHIPPING FOR MULTIPLE AUCTIONS
- If you win multiple auctions that will ship from the same country, you may qualify for a combined shipping discount.
- IMPORTANT: In order to qualify for a combined shipping discount, you must pay for all qualifying items at the same time.
- Want to save on shipping? Find other items that ship from our West Africa office: Shop more from West Africa
- Ships direct from NOVICA office in Ghana.
- Shipping costs include insurance.
- For USA (50 states): Shipping costs cover all import fees.
- Sales tax will be added for all items shipped to California, Missouri or Texas.
- For Non-USA: Customers are responsible for all duty, tax, & brokerage fees that may be due upon delivery (shipping costs cover freight charges only).
- There will be a charge for all refused / unclaimed shipments
- We can ship orders with Standard shipping service to the USA to a PO Box. Orders with Expedited shipping and those shipping outside the USA require a physical address. Sorry, we are not able to ship to APO/FPO addresses at this time.
- For expedited or international shipping fees, you must manually “Add” the additional amount when paying by Paypal. For example, if you want the 8.00 Expedited shipping and the Standard shipping is 5.00, you must “Add” an additional 3.00 to your payment.
- All major credit cards accepted.
- Paypal accepted.
- Payment must be made within 7 business days.
- Positive feedback will be given within 20 days after you have received the item.
Biography of Abdul Aziz Mohamadu
“In 2000, I went into carving and since then I have never regretted it. But I haven’t abandoned painting completely either.”
“At a tender age, I used to draw pictures from magazines with a pencil. During my primary education, I painted with watercolors, to the admiration of my parents and their friends. This gave me confidence and inspired me to continue. I knew I’d be a painter in the future, as I realized that the flair for painting was in-born.
“When I was in senior high, I used to visit friends who were in college pursuing courses in painting. I’d practice with them using acrylics on canvas ? I didn’t find it difficult. In fact, I started to paint for people in my neighborhood upon request.
“When talking to people whose livelihood was painting and learning the challenges they encountered in selling a single canvas, it set me to thinking about whether to pursue this dream of becoming a painter. Perhaps I should turn to a different field altogether?
“When I completed senior high, I used to visit a man by name of Musa at his workshop. He was into carving masks and sculptures. I’d observe him with his workers and saw the joy with which they went about their work. At the time, I was deep in thought as to what would be next for me. My love for the art field was so strong.
“After careful observation of their carving over a period of time, one day I went to the workshop as usual, picked a log of wood and started carving out a mask as I had observed them doing. This surprised Musa and he was willing to help me perfect the skill. I developed a love for this new skill I’d acquired and decided to pursue it further.
“Because of my knowledge in painting, I was able to help Musa in creating very beautiful designs on the mask. In 2000, I went into carving and since then I have never regretted it. But I haven’t abandoned painting completely either ? I still paint for people upon request.
“I am now self employed and there are five assistants working with me. In addition, I have taught seven other people how to carve, and they are also on their own now and doing well. When I get large orders, I call on them for their assistance. I look forward to training more people in this craft and also to continuing with my paintings.”
Abdul Aziz Mohamadu’s work has been exhibited in Ghanaian venues as well as in Nigeria and Benin.
More NOVICA Treasures…
In association with National Geographic, NOVICA is the largest seller of quality handcrafted fair trade goods on Ebay and has been actively auctioning rare artisan crafts since 1998.