Authentic African Mask ‘Baule She Monkey’ Hand Carved Wood & Raffia NOVICA Ghana
African mask, ‘Baule She Monkey’
A powerful bush spirit, a female mbra crowns this African mask. These monkey images are both frightening and powerful. Carving native sese wood, Salihu Ibrahim crafts a mask from the Baule people of Ivory Coast.
Artist: Salihu Ibrahim
17.0 inches H x 8.8 inches W x 6.0 inches D
- 2.60 pounds
- 100% cotton, sese wood, raffia, recycled glass beads
- Additional Info
Intended as wall decor
Features a rustic, rugged finish
Hand-crafted item — color, size and/or motif may vary slightly
Photos are representative of the item being offered, but are not necessarily of the exact item you would receive. As is the nature of handcrafted items, there may be very slight variations from one piece to the next.
See Listing InfoCURRENT PRICE:
US $305.95SUGGESTED RETAIL
Our ebay prices are significantly lower than suggested retail amounts. By cutting out all traditional middlemen we can bring you the best prices on the highest quality items, direct from the region of origin.
SHIPPING TO USA (LOWER 48 STATES)
|Shipping Services||Shipping Cost||Delivery Time|
|Standard to Lower 48 United States||$7.00||12 to 20 business days|
|Expedited to Lower 48 United States||$14.00||2 to 6 business days|
WE SHIP TO OVER 100 DESTINATIONS!
|Destination||Shipping Cost||Delivery Time|
|Australia||$27.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
|Canada||$14.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
|Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands||$9.00||2 to 5 weeks|
|USA (Alaska or Hawaii)
|Same as Standard
|10 to 24 business days|
|USA (Alaska or Hawaii)
|$14.00||3 to 10 business days|
|United Kingdom||$9.00||3 to 8 business days (excluding Customs processing time at destination)|
COMBINED SHIPPING FOR MULTIPLE AUCTIONS
- If you win multiple auctions that will ship from the same country, you may qualify for a combined shipping discount.
- IMPORTANT: In order to qualify for a combined shipping discount, you must pay for all qualifying items at the same time.
- Want to save on shipping? Find other items that ship from our West Africa office: Shop more from West Africa
- Ships direct from NOVICA office in Ghana.
- Shipping costs include insurance.
- For USA (50 states): Shipping costs cover all import fees.
- Sales tax will be added for all items shipped to California, Missouri or Texas.
- For Non-USA: Customers are responsible for all duty, tax, & brokerage fees that may be due upon delivery (shipping costs cover freight charges only).
- There will be a charge for all refused / unclaimed shipments
- We can ship orders with Standard shipping service to the USA to a PO Box. Orders with Expedited shipping and those shipping outside the USA require a physical address. Sorry, we are not able to ship to APO/FPO addresses at this time.
- For expedited or international shipping fees, you must manually “Add” the additional amount when paying by Paypal. For example, if you want the 8.00 Expedited shipping and the Standard shipping is 5.00, you must “Add” an additional 3.00 to your payment.
- All major credit cards accepted.
- Paypal accepted.
- Payment must be made within 7 business days.
- Positive feedback will be given within 20 days after you have received the item.
Biography of Salihu Ibrahim
“I worked with the chief’s head carver for about 15 years, during which time I learned the various styles and techniques of Ashanti and Akwamu traditional methods of wood carving.”
“Greetings from Ghana, West Africa, where we are thinking of you and thanking you for such a successful work year. From myself, my family, and my seven carving assistants, we wish you the best.
“My name is Salihu Ibrahim, and I was born in the eastern region of Ghana in 1964. My father, Ibrahim, died when I was a child and I’m certain his death actually changed and shaped the course of my life. With the death of my father, I was sent to live with one of my father’s closest friends, Opanin Osei, a renowned traditional carver to the then Akwamu chief and the people of Akwamu. At the age of ten, I was fully under the carving tutelage and control of Opanin Osei, who usually carved the items and then passed them on to me for the final polishing and beautification. I worked with the chief’s head carver for about 15 years, during which time I learned the various styles and techniques of Ashanti and Akwamu traditional methods of wood carving.
“I then traveled to the city and stayed with a relative. I greatly owe much of my initial success there to this relation of mine. This is because being new in a big city exposes you to harsh treatments from human scavengers, criminal gangs and business rivals who would want to cash in on your innocence and dupe you out of your possessions.
“Before my decision to come to the city, I had carved about 50 pieces made purposely to help me raise sufficient capital to open a workshop. With the help of my friend, these products sold in no time, to my surprise! This gave me the chance to open my first woodworking shop. I never realized how valuable his help was, until I decided to stay on my own to sell my own products. Being a newcomer in the business, many customers came to buy my products but on several occasions took these goods away on credit; the majority of these goods were never recovered. I learned my first lesson – never sell on credit!
“These experiences helped me develop physically and intellectually, so I quickly learned to read through the trickery of any fraudster. My work began to flourish and achieve recognition. My clientele increased and some of my products have made their way to the USA.
“I have exhibited my work at local art fairs as well as in Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Nigeria and Ivory Coast. Now, I have seven apprentice carvers with me learning the art of carving and preparing the carved items to resemble antique pieces.”
More NOVICA Treasures…
In association with National Geographic, NOVICA is the largest seller of quality handcrafted fair trade goods on Ebay and has been actively auctioning rare artisan crafts since 1998.